Parish Council MinutesFebruary 2018

If you are having problems with the menu, please refer to the Site Contents instead.

Buy the Devon Dialect Alphabet Book

Tracey Elliot-Reep

Dartmoor Christmas Trees

We are hosted and supported by UK Web Hosting

                                                                                                WIDECOMBE PARISH COUNCIL
                             Minutes of a meeting of the Parish Council held on Thursday 1 February 2018 in Church House, Widecombe
Present: Councillor Newbolt-Young (Chairman), Booty, Lomax, Morley, Routley & Southcombe
Also present: Miles Fursdon (Parish Snow Warden) and seven members of the public
Clerk: Suzanna Hughes
• Cllr T Hassell
• Cllr G Fenton
• Cllr M Welby
No comments.
Members were reminded of their responsibility to continually update their Notice of Registerable Interests and to declare any disclosable interests, including the nature and extent of such interests they have in any items to be considered at this meeting. Unforeseen requests for a Dispensation to be considered at this point only if there was no way a Councillor would have been aware of such before the meeting.
There were no declarations of interest or requests for dispensation.
Members received the minutes of the meeting of 4 January 2018 which were approved and signed by the
Chairman as a true and correct record.
Cllr Gribble confirmed that he had met with Miles Fursdon and Scott Riddell to discuss the issues raised at the last meeting. He advised that the grit bins have now been filled and all bins are now showing on the online map. He thanked Miles for the work he was doing in his role as snow warden and promised to support him in whatever way he could.
Cllr Jeffery advised that car parking charges in TDC have increased. In Widecombe, permit holders will be charged the same as last year but a full days parking will increase to £1.30. It will still be free to park over the winter months (up to 1 April). Council tax will also be increasing but the garden tax (the cost of emptying green wheelie bins) will remain the same.
(a) Communication - Cllr Morley reported that the email notification system has been trialled and has been successful. Leaflets are going to be delivered to communicate the email notification system to parishioners. Members approved a small cost to print the leaflets.
(a) Widecombe Fair
Members were advised that Widecombe Fair Committee intend to maintain last year’s £1,200 payment to the Parish Council. Members agreed to accept this. Widecombe Fair Committee is not proposing any changes to the contract for 2018 but it was agreed by members that reference to the ’privately owned car park’ should be deleted as this was not the responsibility of the Parish Council.
(b) New affordable housing development (field adjacent to Brook Lane Cottages)
The Chairman advised members of the public present that, directly preceding the Parish Council meeting, members had met with Teign Housing, Teignbridge District Council and Devon Communities Together to find out about plans to develop the land off Brook Lane for affordable housing. He advised
that Teign Housing had consulted with DNPA who had indicated that they would support a small development of housing on the lower part of the site. Teign Housing indicated that it was likely that the site would accommodate approximately six properties. There was also a discussion about self-build and custom-build which could also be an option. The Chairman allowed members of the public to ask questions which mainly expressed concern about being able to fulfil housing needs criteria. The clerk would provide contact details for the Housing Enabling Officer at Teignbridge District Council to whom these questions could be addressed. A Community Led Housing event, led by TDC, Teign Housing and Devon Communities Together, will also be arranged to which the public are encouraged to attend to express their views about what the community needs in terms of housing. The date of the meeting will be published as soon as it is confirmed (likely to be w/c 19 March).
(c) Maintenance of hedge and bank adjacent to leat opposite tennis court
Members considered a request that the Parish Council takes steps to preserve the historic leat opposite the tennis court by carrying out maintenance of the adjacent deteriorating boundary hedge and wall. The clerk confirmed that the boundary is under the ownership of Combe though attempts to contact the owner have been unsuccessful in the past. Cllr Gribble offered to try and contact the owner and remind them of their responsibilities.
(d) Tree Surveys
(i) Members received and noted the tree report following Rupert Baker’s survey of the trees on the Village Green. It was agreed that the recommended work to the large copper beech near the Café on the Green should be carried out, i.e. to reduce the north-eastern stem by 2.5-3m. A section 211 notice will be completed and submitted to DNPA for approval. Quotations for the works would be sought for consideration in March’s meeting.
(ii) Members considered the recent case of Cavanagh v Witley Parish Council. It was noted that the trees for which the Parish Council is responsible are being surveyed at intervals recommended by an arboriculturist and therefore members agreed that the Parish Council was fulfilling its obligations as a responsible land owner.
(e) Annual Parish Meeting It was confirmed that the meeting will take place on Thursday 15 March at 7.00pm. A representative of the New Village Hall Steering Group will update the parish on progress so far. Community Group reports will also be invited.
(a) New applications/appeals:
(i) 0023/18 - Replacement floor, roof over garden room and internal alterations to main house, internal alterations, installation of glazing to rear slope of roof and replacement ceilings to cottage, internal repairs, replacement window and installation of glazing to roof slope to Shippon and installation of French drains and repointing of walls and chimneys at Middle Natsworthy, Widecombe-in-the-Moor
Members agreed to support this application.
(ii) 0026/18 – Removal of asbestos ceiling within dwelling, replacement door and windows to hay barn at Rowden Farm, Widecombe-in-the-Moor
Members agreed to support this application.
(iii) 0028/18 – Amendment to extant permission for two storey side extension to dwelling house and extension of timber decking at Rogues Roost Cottage, Poundsgate
Members agreed to support this application.
(b) Decisions:
(i) 0534/17 – Erection of agricultural building (13.7m x 9.1m), Land at Newcott Farm Cottages, Poundsgate
Members noted that DNPA has refused to grant planning consent.
Having supported this application, a query was raised regarding whether this application should have been determined at Committee rather than by the officer. It was agreed to ask DNPA for clarification on what triggers Committee decisions.
(a) Payments for approval:
Members received and approved the following payment for approval:
▪ Cheque no 000970 - Clerk’s salary and disbursements - £246.39
▪ Cheque no 000971 - Widecombe Village Hall Steering Group - £50
▪ Cheque no 000972 - Church House (hire of hall for PC meetings from April 2017 - March 2018) - £110
▪ Cheque no 000973 - Rupert Baker (Tree survey) - £305
Cllr Routley advised that the brown tourist sign for Badgers Holt has fallen down. The Highways Officer’s
contact details were given so that the owners could report the issue direct.
The clerk reminded members that all highways and footpath problems should be reported on line where
possible. []
There being no further business, the Chairman closed the meeting at 8.58pm.
Signed ………………………………………….. Dated ……………………………………….
The next meeting of the Parish Council will be held on Thursday 1 March 2018 at 7.30pm.

The information on this page was last modified on February 27 2018 15:43:17.

Widecombe-in-the-Moor - The Heart of Dartmoor

Site Copyright © 2018 Widecombe History Group Registered Charity Number 1144684

Home  Contact Us  Site Contents  Site Search  Message Board  History Group  Parish Council  Privacy  Terms