Widecombe History Group Talks
If you are having problems with the menu, please refer to the Site Contents instead.
We are hosted and supported by UK Web Hosting
In the churchwarden's accounts there is a mention of £952 being spent on alterations being made to the church in 1860.
A photograph of the 'church silver' of years ago taken c1920 was shown, however the old Ewer depicted has 'gone missing' - a great pity!
To date they have not uncovered the Ecclesiastical Paperwork that licenses the church for weddings ! What does that mean for those 'married at Buckland' ?
The Vestry was officially given to the church in 1923. Five new bells are mentioned in 1760, at a cost from a Mr Bilbie of Collumpton, of £50 plus £7.14s 0d for extra metal.
Photographs and letters are gradually being gathered together mentioning 'ringer's outing' of 1927, and other places in the parish.
Interesting newspaper cuttings were shown, some taken from 'The Exeter Flying Post' of the 19thC. Some mentioning people of the parish, and one dated 1805 which told of a canal being planned from Totnes to Ashburton. An estate dinner of 1860 held by the Bastards of Kitley, the owners of the parish (estate), possibly a rent day, with the landlord giving the tenants two brace of pheasants, and the right to catch rabbits.
Game was the sole property of the landowners themselves, not to be taken by the tenants.
There was a newspaper cutting of 1922 referring to the I. R. A. at Buckland!
Several documents exist regarding mining in the area, 1487-1534 in particular.
Listing mines, miners, residents who ‘coined’ tin, and maps of the iron mill at Ausewell, copper mining and a court case between the Bastards of Buckland, and the mines of Owlacombe. Particular reference to the proposed digging of a leat from Ponsworthy via Cockingford through Buckland Woods. This was never completed and the remains of about 200 yards of it can still seen today, in the woods at Ponsworthy.
Mention of schools are recorded. Two daily schools in 1835, and the final closing of a school in 1906. The mention of the village hall being used as a school in 1939-45, for locals and evacuees.
The 14th August 1938 when a terrible thunderstorm hit the area, and the bridge in the centre of Buckland was washed away, and major damage was done to Cockingford Mill, the last working Grist Mill on Dartmoor. It had its wheel damaged beyond repair.
Pat also mentioned the amount of information available when looking through Churchwarden’s Accounts, including how money was raised to maintain the roads.
He noted that virtually all the males of the parish in a record of c1808were involved in agriculture.
As he finished his look at ‘snippets’ from Buckland Archives, Pat Watson did ask that if anyone knows of the existence of any documents of any kind, referring to Buckland he would dearly like sight of them. If people are prepared for him to copy them and so continue to build up an even more detailed archive he would greatly appreciate it.
Contact Pat on 01364 621494.
The information on this page was last modified on March 14 2013 08:58:36.