History Group Minutes February 2012


If you are having problems with the menu, please refer to the Site Contents instead.

Buy the Devon Dialect Alphabet Book

We are hosted and supported by UK Web Hosting

A Meeting of The Widecombe History Group was held at The Church House, Widecombe on Wednesday 1st February 2012 at 7.30 p.m.

Charity No.         1144684

Apologies:          Barry & Tanya Welch, John Walling, Alan & Mary Goodall, Dot Jones, Rose Mortimore, Roger & Ann Claxton, Sue Booty, Barbara Norrish, Joy Routley, Joan Brookes and Jenny Pascoe. 

Mrs Sue Boustead was in the chair and 49 members attended. We welcomed five new members to the meeting, Fiona Froy, Keith & Angie Radmore, Kathryn Handley and Michael French. We hope that they enjoyed their visit and will become regular supporters of the group.

The minutes of the January meeting were read and approved.

Arising:   Widecombe Fair 11th September 2012: Peter & Aileen Carrett are prepared to plan the interior of the Heritage Marquee. They are asking individuals to plan a theme for the exhibits, or individual ideas for displays. They have the interior dimensions, so please do contact them soon with your thoughts, so that planning is not left until the last minute.  Archives:  Richard received some more material to add to our archives. Mary Pascoe brought a copy of a map showing the beacons that were lit in 1977, Queen Elizabeth’s Silver Jubilee. Peter Rennells volunteered to create a laminated booklet of the churchyard records c 1950. This will then be placed in the church for the benefit of locals and visitors alike.

History as it Happens:  It was noted that local man Ben Norrish, son of Richard & Gill Norrish of Foxworthy, Poundsgate, has been awarded The Polar Medal. This is a very prestigious award, first awarded in 1857. It is in recognition of "The Acquisition of Knowledge of the Polar Regions" and amongst those who have previously been awarded this medal are Captain Scott and Ernest Shackleton. Ben will receive his medal at a ceremony at Buckingham Palace on 10th May 2012. Ben spent 6 years in The Parachute Regiment, and has spent the past 11 years maintaining The British Antarctic Survey's Vehicles.  Arch & Audrey Mortimore of Grattons, Widecombe, celebrate their Diamond Wedding Anniversary (60 years) on 9th February 2012. They were married on the 9th February 1952 just three days after the death of King George VI (6th February 1952).  N.B.  Queen Elizabeth II came to the throne that day (6th February) and there are now plans afoot to celebrate the 60th Anniversary of her Coronation over the weekend 3rd & 4th of June of this year.  Sunday 3rd June, country wide there are plans for a 'Big Lunch', similar to a street party.   Both Widecombe and Leusdon Ecclesiastical Parishes are planning to individually take part.  Monday 4th June on Widecombe Village Green there will be further celebrations for the whole parish from about 5.00 p.m. A Ceilidh Band, sports, barbeque, refreshments and fun. At 10.00 p.m. it is intended to light a beacon followed by a fireworks display at the top of Widecombe Hill near Top Tor, this will be visible from the village and around the Parish. The music will then continue on the green. Tuesday 5th June it is intended to hold a 'Songs of Praise Service' in St Pancras Church, Widecombe, at 5.00p.m. to wind up the celebrations. There are plans for a Russian Film Crew to visit Widecombe Church on Thursday 16th February. They are intending to look at the history of The Great Storm of Sunday 21st October 1638. This well documented happening is an important part of our church's history.

Digitising:  It is intended that this will recommence in late February.

Emails and Correspondences:  Another busy month with correspondence/emails including:  A request from  Haldon Forest Park for details of any games played years ago. Indoor games as well as outdoor. Contact  adams@ccanw.co.uk  A request for any details of the Willcocks family history. 

Report on The Trustees and Management Committee Meeting of 23rd January 2012:  The secretary gave a résumé of the business transacted at the above meeting. This should according to the Charity Rules, be done. If any member wishes to have a copy of these minutes please notify the secretary and he will email them to you. A couple of 'hard copies' will be available at monthly meetings, as they were at this meeting. The main points are as follows as preparation for the AGM on Wednesday 2nd May 2012. As we are now a Charity we must work according to the Charity Commissioners' rules.   a.      There will be a minimum of three trustees. All Trustees and Officers of the group must resign at the AGM. They can all stand for re-election if they so wish.  We currently have five Trustees.  In order to help with the smooth running of the group and maintain continuity, they are all prepared to stand again for the next year. They must in accordance with the rules individually sign a paper to signify their willingness to stand, and they must be proposed and seconded on that form by paid up members. Anyone else who would like to stand as a Trustee must also fill in a form. Completed forms must be returned to the Secretary by our April 4th meeting.  b.   Officers: The current officers of the group viz. Chairman, vice chairman, treasurer and secretary, are all at present Trustees. It has been decided that the post of Chairman and  Vice-chairman should each be for a period of TWO years to help with continuity.  c.    The Management Committee.  (The Trustees can appoint members on to the Management Committee to help with the running of the group).  We have at present five members who are on the management committee in addition to the five Trustees. Working total TEN. This seems practical. There is a need for other members to offer to stand as committee members. There is a separate form for this. Those members willing to offer themselves as possible management committee members in the future should complete this form and return it as above. There are boxes on the form for anyone who would like to be potential officers to register their willingness to act, permanently or temporarily, in an official capacity for the group.  It would be good to know if there are any members prepared to take on any official positions in the future. The Management Committee is currently TEN. FIVE Trustees and FIVE Ex-official members.  The Ex-official members are appointed as requested by the Trustees from the signatories on this form. Please consider if you would be prepared to contribute in the future, by being an officer of the group. We desperately need people who are willing to substitute for officers, if they are unavailable for any reason.  The Trustees are also in negotiation with Widecombe Parish Council on the possibility of creating a Heritage and Educational Centre in the village. Last year we formed a Sub-committee of FIVE further members in readiness for the eventuality of this scheme progressing. However we have not reached that position so they have not been called upon to date. The Trustees can appoint further sub-committees as they feel fit.  Secretary has been asked by the Parish Council to talk at the Annual Parish Meeting, being held in the Church House on Wednesday March 14th at 7.30 p.m. about our proposed Heritage and Educational Centre. This will help us understand if there is general support for this idea within the Parish. We have to consider the cost, sustainability, running costs, manning, if this idea has any future, and what benefit it can produce for the parish at large.

 Diary Dates:  Tuesday 7th February Princetown LHG have a talk by Roger Paul on "Dartmoor's Dressed Granite".  Saturday 11th February at Belstone Village Hall a talk by Dr Tom Greeves at 7.30 p.m. - From Belstone to Steeperton: 400 years of Tinners & Tinworking on the River Taw.  Wednesday 29th February at 6.30 p.m. a special opening of The Royal Albert Memorial Museum. Ten members expressed a desire to attend. We must see if we can get tickets.  Thursday 1st March at Shilstone, Modbury a talk on the restoration of Shilstone and the House. Tuesday 6th March Princetown LHG have a talk by Michael Duffy on the creation of Plymouth's Naval Dockyard 1689-1815.  Wednesday 7th March a coffee morning at Leusdon Memorial Hall, 10.00 a.m.  Wednesday 7th March at our monthly meeting we have a talk by Yvonne Thoms on her life as a housemaid at Buckingham Palace.  Wednesday 14th March at the Church house, Widecombe the Annual Parish Meeting. Saturday 17th March at Great Moor House, Sowton, Exeter, the DRO are holding an 'Open Day' from 10.00 a.m. to 4.00 p.m. We hope to have a table showing our publications for sale etc.  Thursday 24th May, DNPA are organising a Dartmoor Local History Morning 9.30 a.m.-1.00 p.m. at Parke, Bovey Tracey. Speakers from Dartmoor Archive, DRO and Lustleigh Archive.

The meeting closed at 9.55 p.m.

The talk this month was "Dartmoor Birds" an illustrated talk by Richard Hibbert

Please click here to access that talk.


The information on this page was last modified on March 14 2013 08:58:36.


Widecombe-in-the-Moor - The Heart of Dartmoor

Site Copyright © 2017 Widecombe History Group Registered Charity Number 1144684

Home  Contact Us  Site Contents  Site Search  Message Board  History Group  Parish Council  Privacy  Terms