History Group Minutes January 2011


 

A Meeting of The Widecombe History Group was held at The Church House, Widecombe on Wednesday 5th January 2011 at 7.30 p.m.
The Chairman started the meeting by wishing everyone a Happy New Year and this was reciprocated.
Apologies:            Patrick Garvey, Roger & Ann Claxton, Roger Whale, Dot Jones, Maggie Faulkner,                             Jenny Pascoe, Mavis & Rick Clipson, Carl Heywood, Peter & Belinda Owen, and Derek Hext.
Mr Terry French was in the chair and 37 members attended.
Arising: Widecombe Fair 13th September 2011, Aileen & Peter Carrett reported that plans were proceeding well. Rodney Cruze has offered to bring some vintage farm implements as usual with the possible theme of hay making this year. They await full confirmation from Devon's Lace Makers. Maggie is working on her plans for 'Tracing your family tree'. Aileen & Mary are working on an exhibition of old kitchen items and they would appreciate the offer of any suitable items from members. It is believed that there is a mangle in the parish made by 'Kernicks of Widecombe' we will try and trace that. Peter would like more details of Beard’s and Tor (Potter’s) Buses, Photographs, tickets, time tables etc.
Membership List: Sue Boustead passed around the current list and asked for members to up-date their details, particularly their contact details.
Gift Aid Forms: These are available from Sue and our treasurer Roger Claxton.
Storage Cabinets: These are now in place and look good. A date will be arranged for a couple of members to assist Richard Wells, our Librarian, to sort out our collection of archive material.
Quiz Evening: Later in the year we will hold a quiz evening when our chairman Terry has agreed to be quizmaster.
Village Event: The event scheduled for Saturday 18th December was cancelled due to the heavy snow fall. We gave the National Trust a ‘Cuddly Toy’ for a raffle prize which we hope will be used on some future occasion.
2011 Programme: Copies of our programme and the latest newsletter are now available.
Carols Down the Line: A very successful evening was again experienced at Buckfastleigh on Wednesday 8th December, thanks to Ann were expressed for organising the event.
Heritage and Educational Centre: Negotiations are still being pursued and the Heritage Sub-Committee will meet again on Monday 31st January to consider the latest developments.
North Hall: Peter Rennells continues his contacts with the owners of the site and he reported that Margaret & Michael have pressed most of last years apple crop into juice and they are hoping to make cider from it. Photographs were taken of the process and the possibility of a ‘Botanical Walk’ around the site is being considered for April/May of this year and it is also hoped that a ‘Wassail Ceremony’ could be arranged for January 2012. These two ideas need to be nurtured. Peter will follow up these projects with the owners.
Digitising Parish Documents: Contact Roger & Ann if you are able to assist with this venture. Memory Sticks are now available from Roger Claxton of details of the Tithe Map and the associated Apportionment Book at the cost of £15 (postage extra).
Widecombe Music: Jane Russell has begun to get a group of musicians together with the idea of giving a concert of some of this music later in the year.
A. O. B.:Barbara Norrish asked if anyone has any knowledge of a blacksmith being in business at Jordan. It is thought that it was a member of the Hext family. We will see if any information comes to the group about this next month.
Diary Dates: We have received from Princetown LHG their programme for 2011. They will meet next on Tuesday 1st February at Princetown Community Centre at 7.30 p.m. when Roger Paul will talk about ‘The History of Letterboxing’ Wednesday 2nd February there will be a coffee morning at Leusdon Memorial Hall at 10 a.m. - 12 noon. Wednesday 2nd February will be our next meeting which is scheduled as a discussion evening.
E-mails & Correspondence:The Secretary has replied to several contacts during the past month including enquires:
                a. About Miss Penn-Gaskell late of Scobitor. She was a keen philatelist, and her collection featured in particular, stamps concerning the birth of air-mail. The secretary reported that we had received details of her achievements some years ago, and he would look through his records to see if he could find a copy.
                b. About Widecombe in the 19th century, from the father of a girl doing a school project. The meeting felt that the girl herself should have made the approach!
                c. A contact with Ann Howard of the Devon History Society. This will be of great help with future research. annegh58@yahoo.co.uk
                d. Requesting any information about ‘Dartmoor Wrestling’?
                e. From several people in the USA about a programme shown on American TV about Widecombe.
                f. A thank you from Marion Kaye for our annual donation of £50 towards the Parish Link Newsletter.
She will also include in the February newsletter our request for information to track down the Millennium Parish Record Book and the associated CD.
The meeting concluded with our Annual New Year’s Bring and Share Party.
Thanks were expressed to all the members that brought refreshments and particularly to Peter Rennells for supplying his special ‘punch’ that was enjoyed by all present.
The meeting closed at 10.00 p.m.

If you are having problems with the menu, please refer to the Site Contents instead.

We are hosted and supported by UK Web Hosting

SSL Certificate


The information on this page was last modified on March 14 2013 08:58:36.


Widecombe-in-the-Moor - The Heart of Dartmoor

Site Copyright © 2017 Widecombe History Group Registered Charity Number 1144684

Home  Contact Us  Site Contents  Site Search  Message Board  History Group  Parish Council  Privacy  Terms