History Group Minutes December


A Meeting of The Widecombe History Group was held at The Church House Widecombe on Wednesday 7th December 2011 at 7.30 p.m.

Charity Number:-            1144684

Apologies:-         Patrick Garvey, Ruth Parnell, Dawn Nosworthy, Barbara Norrish, Roger Whale, Dot Jones, Carl Heyward, Peter Rennells, Serena Wolcott, Margaret Phipps and Sue Booty.

Mrs Sue Boustead was in the chair and 50 members attended.

The minutes of the November meeting were read and signed as correct.

Arising:  

Widecombe Fair 11th September 2012:  Aileen & Peter Carrett are looking into a theme for the marquee for next year. They will need members to support them with the preparation, displays and work in the setting up and dismantling process. Roger Claxton has had a query about The Beatles and their “Magical Mystery Tour of 1967". He brought to the meeting photographs of their coach ‘stuck’ on New Bridge. They were intending to come to Widecombe Fair that year but could not cross the bridge so turned around and went on to Plymouth. We lost out there! The coach that they used is reported to be still operational and currently in Newquay. This needs verifying and could be a theme for the future! We shall try and search the archives of local papers of the time to see if anything about this was recorded in the press.  Within the realms of Widecombe Fair, our vicar Rev. Geoffrey Fenton, told the meeting of a generous bequest to Widecombe Church recently received of several ‘Will Young’ figures. There is no way of displaying them in the Church due to their fragile state. They will be sold at a later date and the money put to the benefit of the Church.  

  North Hall:  Peter Rennells was not at the meeting so there was no report on any progress taken regarding the proposed “Wassail Ceremony” scheduled for Friday 20th January. Secretary will follow this up and there will be an update on this at our January Meeting. Peter will be asked to prepare his usual ‘punch’ for our January 4th meeting’s annual party night. Members are requested to bring a plate of food for a ‘bring & share’ supper. 

Archives:  Richard Wells is still being ‘swamped’ with items to archive. Oh for some more space! He was able to loan Peter Mason of Lustleigh some photographs from the archives to help with his research. 

Educational & Heritage Centre:  The latest position regarding this scheme was reported to the meeting. The secretary has continued to attend Parish Council Meetings and the response from WPC members has been encouraging. TDC originally offered the WPC a 5 (five) year lease on a small part of the village car park, this has now been increased to 50 (fifty) years and at a very nominal annual rent of £1 if demanded. The joint committee of WPC/WHG will be meeting on site on Thursday 8th December at 2.00 p.m. when representatives of DNPA and, we hope, TDC will also attend. The purpose of the meeting is to ascertain the type of building that the DNPA would consider suitable and look at the way forward so that the full WPC meeting to be held in January will have something ‘concrete’ to discuss.  DNPA has also requested that representatives of our ‘Committee’ should attend a meeting at Parke on Wednesday 14th December at 11.00 a.m. when funding for schemes like ours will be discussed.  Roger & Ann Claxton and Anthony Beard will attend. We should approach DNPA regarding micro-chipping the village shell. 

History as it Happens:  The group has received some photographs and memorabilia of Sophie, Countess of Wessex's, visit to Widecombe on 17th October 2011. They will be displayed in Church in one of our display cabinets soon.  On 15th November there was a well attended meeting held in the Church House to consider celebrations of her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee next June.  The next meeting will be held on Monday 30th January 2012 at 7.30 p.m. in The Church House, to take the plans forward.  Widecombe Primary School has presented it's Annual Christmas Concert. The youngest pupils performed a nativity play and the older ones acted out a 'spoof' that they called "Pirates of the Curry Bean" - excellent! 

Digitising of Parish Records:  This is continuing well under the guidance of Ann & Roger Claxton, and the meeting thanked them for the use of a room in their house for this purpose. Four teams are involved in this process.  It is intended to produce an up to date list and plan of burials and their headstones in the churchyard this summer, and it was suggested that a photographic record of the headstones which could be digitised was a good idea. Rev Geoffrey Fenton has encouraged the idea and he will look into the availability of Church burial records to assist in its completion. This information could be then passed on to Professor Howard Williams of Chester University who is researching memorial data of churchyards in contrasting locations, if the Widecombe P. C. C. agree. 

Management Committee Meeting:  At the 28th November 2011 meeting of WHG Management Committee, - which consists of the current 5 (five) Trustees, John Walling, Sue Boustead, Roger Claxton, Margaret Phipps and Anthony Beard AND the 5 (five) ex official members Jenny Pascoe, Terry French, Sam Boustead, Ann Claxton & Mary Pascoe, - the new Constitution was carefully considered. As a result of their considerations the following points were brought before the meeting to make members aware of certain procedures that will be followed in the future:

Widecombe History Group is now a Registered Charity.  Reg, No, 1144684. 

  a.  Nomination forms for committee members must be made prior to the AGM on printed forms that will be available at the February Meeting. These must be returned by the April Meeting. Members must sign to show their willingness to stand and each nomination must be formally proposed and seconded

b.  The Annual General Meeting will be held on the first Wednesday in May each year.

c.  The financial year will begin on the first of March each year.

d.  A membership list must be maintained and kept up to date. Sue Boustead offered to do this.

e.  Sue also offered to produce a draft nomination form, for the committee to consider. On the rear of these forms will be the list of names of the current trustees and officers and they are to state whether they are prepared to be re-elected.

f.   It was agreed that a Management Committee of five trustees and five ex official members be responsible for the everyday running of the Group.

g. Copies of the Constitution will be available for all to read on the website.

h.  All trustees and officers are to resign at the AGM. They are, if they wish, permitted to stand for re-election.

i.   There is a need to explore offers of help for the treasurer and the secretary as their workload is increasing annually. There are occasions when there could be a need to deputise for them when they are unable to fulfil their functions for whatever reason.

j.  There will be a need to elect 'sub-committees'  from time to time for schemes like the 'Heritage Centre'.

The current 'Heritage Committee' consists of The Management Committee plus Roger Whale, Rodney Cruze, Peter & Aileen Carrett, Wendy Beard and Mike Wright.

k. Consideration is needed as to whether the Chairman should be elected for a longer period than one year at a time to help with continuity.

Diary Dates:

Saturday 10th December. Moretonhampstead LHG open their new Heritage Centre 12.00 noon.

The Moorland Merrymakers stage their Annual Pantomime at Leusdon Memorial Hall from December 10th till December 17th. This year it will be 'Treasure Island'.

Wednesday January 4th a coffee morning at Leusdon Memorial Hall 10.00 a.m.

Wednesday 4th January WHG Monthly Meeting at The Church House will be a 'bring & share' New Year Party when Mike Wright will give a presentation of some of his photographs of Devon.

Monday 30th January in the Church House at 7.30 p.m. a meeting to take forward plans to celebrate The Diamond Jubilee next June.

Wednesday 1st February a coffee morning at Leusdon memorial Hall from 10.00 a.m.

Wednesday 1st February at 7.30 p.m. WHG Monthly Meeting at The Church House when Richard Hibbert will give an illustrated talk on Dartmoor Birds.

Emails & Correspondence:

An offer of some photographs of Widecombe Fair c1950 have been offered to the group.  A letter of thanks from Widecombe Fair for a donation made in October to their funds.  Hastoe Housing Association have a two bedroom cottage to let in the village.  A cast iron mangle made and sold by R. Kernick of Widecombe is for sale locally.  A letter requesting WHG to support an Open day at DRO Great Moor House, Exeter on Saturday 17th March 10.00 a.m. - 400 p.m. suggesting we have a table to sell our books etc and an opportunity to look around the strong rooms, lectures and advice. We agreed to support this and apply for a table.   A letter enquiring about the late Henry & Elizabeth(nee Reynolds) Bray buried c1950 and Bill & Molly(nee Palmer) Bray. Molly was the daughter of Beatrice Chase’s ‘Mr Bluejacket’ - Gilbert Halse Palmer. Any information would be appreciated.  Query about letters of Rev Mason, vicar of Widecombe c 1832. Letter trying to trace the whereabouts of the Jan Stewer film - All Along Down Along - any help would be appreciated. 

The meeting closed at 10.00 p.m. 

Dr. Todd Gray was once again welcomed to our meeting when he gave an illustrated talk on ‘Christmas in Devon’. 

Please click here to access that talk

If you are having problems with the menu, please refer to the Site Contents instead.

We are hosted and supported by UK Web Hosting

SSL Certificate


The information on this page was last modified on March 14 2013 08:58:36.


Widecombe-in-the-Moor - The Heart of Dartmoor

Site Copyright © 2017 Widecombe History Group Registered Charity Number 1144684

Home  Contact Us  Site Contents  Site Search  Message Board  History Group  Parish Council  Privacy  Terms